What is Acidity?
Acidity is excess acid secretion in stomach gastric glands. Acidity is caused when the stomach acid starts flowing back up into the food pipe due to unhealthy eating habits and poor lifestyle choices.
Also read our article on Healthiest food to start your day
What are the symptoms of Acidity?
- Heartburn in the lower chest area
- Stomach ache
- Bad breath
- Burning sensation in the throat
- Regurgitation and restlessness
- Nausea and sour taste in the mouth
- Indigestion and constipation
Causes of Acidity
- The long gap between meals
- Excessive intake of tea or coffee
- Excessive smoking or consuming alcohol
- Overconsumption of oily spicy and non-vegetarian food
- The side effect of medicines
- Stress and lack of sleep
Acidity can lead various complications like -
- Chronic pain in the chest or abdomen
- Vomiting and difficulty in swallowing
- Gastric ulcers, cancer etc.
Here are some home remedies for acidity that will help you in getting rid of acidity problems.
- Basil - Basil is carminative and gives instant relief from acidity. Eat few basil leaves or drink basil leaves water to immediately soothe your stomach. To make basil leaves water boil four to five basil leaves in a cup of water. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Strain and consume.
- Fennel - Gastrointestinal benefits of oils present in fennel seeds helps in keeping your digestive tract healthy. Consume fennel tea regularly to relieve indigestion and bloating.
- Cinnamon - Cinnamon is a natural antacid. Drinking cinnamon tea improves digestion, boosts nutrients absorption and heals stomach infections.
- Buttermilk - Lactic acid in buttermilk eases out acidity in the stomach. Practice drinking buttermilk after eating an oily, heavy or spicy meal. You can also add black pepper and fresh coriander to buttermilk for better results.
- Jaggery - Jaggery aids intestinal strength and boosts digestion. Eating a small piece of gur after meals makes the digestive system more alkaline, cools stomach and balances body temperature.
- Cloves - In Ayurveda, cloves are used to treat digestive disorders. Consuming cloves prevents gas formation in the gastrointestinal tract and helps in getting rid of bad breath.
- Cumin - Cumin seeds are natural acid neutralizer that relieves stomach pain. Drink crushed roasted cumin seeds in a glass of water after every meal to improve digestion.
- Ginger - Ginger is full of various health benefits. The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger neutralize stomach acids. Ginger can be consumed in various forms for soothing stomach like, chew a thin slice of fresh ginger, drink one spoon of ginger juice few times a day, or ginger tea 1-2 times every day.
- Milk - Calcium in milk stabilize gastric acids in the stomach. Consume cold milk while suffering from acidity to prevent acid build up in the stomach.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Mix one teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and consume one to two times a day to balance stomach acid levels and prevent acid reflux.
- Coconut Water - Drinking coconut water balances body's pH balance produces mucous in the stomach, which protects the stomach from harmful effects of excessive acid production.
Well most of these home cures do work for mild to low acidity. If you are suffering from Hyperacidity or GERD, we recommend that you try out Amlant Capsules for quick and long term relief