The Coronavirus outbreak all across the world and number of cases multiplying haunting us day by day. Initially discovered in China, the Corona Virus or COVID-19 Novel Corona Virus is keeping its footsteps now in many regions across the nations affecting thousands of people. Previously, it has taken more than 3000 lives in China [Ref.], and several cases are being confirmed in countries like Iran, Italy, South Korea, India, etc.
What is Coronavirus?
Corona Virus belongs to a family of viruses that originates from animals and spreads through various species, including humans. They mainly attack our respiratory system and very contagious. It turns out to be very deadly if not properly taken care of. The virus is considered to have a similar nature as SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which appeared in 2002 in China.
The virus is said to be originated in the wet market of Wuhan, China. Here, many dead and live animals are being sold, including bats, snakes, fish, and birds, etc. Lack of proper hygiene leads to the virus outbreak from animals to humans.
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath (in case of severe condition)
- Chest, throat or nasal congestion
- A general feeling of being unwell
How is Coronavirus spread?
Like common cold or flu, the virus is spread via tiny droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. It could be transferred through various surfaces touched by an infected person and then gets picked up by another non-infected person. It is considered that the Coronavirus stays on a surface for three days. And then a person who comes in contact with the virus touches his face, nose, mouth or eyes; he gets infected too.
General Preventive Measures:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water if you have just been to a public place. You can use alcohol-based hand sanitizers as well. For children, they can go for non-alcohol based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching your face, especially eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth with tissue or mask while coughing and sneezing and immediately dump tissue in a dustbin.
- Avoid close contact with people, who are sick, have fever and coughing, or possess any common cold symptoms.
- Wear a face mask when exposed to a public space.
- Stay at home if you are sick and look for immediate medical help.
An Ayurvedic Perspective:
As per Healthline, “So far, there is no antidote for coronavirus. The vaccine will be available in one year from now but not guaranteed.”
The Ministry of Ayush also talked about the preventive measures to protect us from coronavirus infections. Ayurveda, Unani, and Siddha medicines can be used to prevent yourself from getting affected by novel Coronavirus.
Our immune system plays a vital role in preventing diseases and any infections. Children and older people have the least immunity, and that is why any viruses, including Coronavirus, easily catch them. When everybody is talking about healthy living and prevention now, this is the right time to go back to our roots. Ayurveda has always been very useful to build stronger immunity.
Ayurvedic Herbs and Remedies to Improve Immunity:
Following herbs and remedies are very helpful to protect yourself from deadly COVID-19. They may do so by enhancing your immunity power, strengthening the immunity to fight common cold infection and fight any symptoms of respiratory infections.
- Eating a tablespoon of Chyawanprash is very helpful in enhancing one’s immunity, especially that of the lungs and the respiratory system.
- Guduchi is a popular herb that can cure fever and build your immunity.
- Herbal teas like lemon ginger, lemon honey, and mint teas are very helpful in softening rough coughs, helps in easy breathing, cures sore throat, and removes the infection.
- Amla, Neem, and Tulsi are some of the amazing ayurvedic herbs that build immunity and prevent infections. You can consume freshly boiled neem or tulsi water in the morning in an empty stomach for maximum effect.
- Putting 2-3 drops of Sesame oil in each nostril and then sniffing it produces excellent results. It not just clears the nasal passage and throat but also strengthens the inner mucus membrane to keep away foreign bodies.
- A decoction of tulsi and giloy along with black pepper, turmeric, and ginger in hot water also helps to build immunity and kill all types of viruses.
Ancient practices have taught us that Prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, take these preventive measures seriously and protect yourself and your family from this deadly Coronavirus infection before things go out of your hands.
Read More Health Blogs.