Vitiligo is a medical name for depigmentation or discoloration of the skin. It is a kind of autoimmune disease where antibodies produced by the body to fight external infections starts reacting against skin pigment called melanin, without which skin appear white. The discoloration shows more in people with dark skin. While vitiligo affected skin looks gross, but it does no harm to any of the vital or minor functions of the body. Only because of its effects on the physical appearance, patients get into stress, depression and self-harming stage at times.
I myself was feeling the same when I first saw small discoloration patches on my leg, arm, and chest. At the same, my scalp hair and beard started turning white in small sections. After few consultation and research, I realized that there is no cure available in the market. All western research studies were not able to identify any concrete reasons for its happening. Though some of the studies were associating it with diseases like thyroid, diabetes, psoriasis etc. Well, I had none of them. Neither, I had a history of this disease in my family or extended family.
Luckily, being an Indian and living in India, one always has an alternative to try Ayurveda when every allopathy doctor fails. I wasn’t too convinced in the beginning but when I met of a couple of Ayurveda practitioners and heard them talk about this disease with so much clarity as to why and how it may have occurred and what all can be done to cure it, I was stunned. Maybe I was still hesitant to approve any of it but in a way satisfied that at least someone knows what is going wrong with me.
Some of the possible causes of Vitiligo as per Ayurveda:
1. Eating food that is opposite in nature like Milk and FIsh. Dairy products and sour/citrus food. Such mixing of food products create toxins in the body.
3. Lack of drinking water
The Ayurveda practitioner prescribed some medicines and a daily ritual to follow for three months. After 3 months, I saw a remarkable improvement in skin patches. Colour of the skin started coming back to normal. After one more month of following the ritual, all patches are gone and no new occurrence. However, my scalp hair and beard hair color didn’t change back to black… but the size of those sections didn’t grow at all.
Precations and medicines for Vitiligo that I followed:
- Kapal bhati - Daily for 15 to 20 mins in the morning. It’s a form of yoga – Rapid Exhalation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg0CMe-yC_4
- Stopped eating these foods during the medication, Milk, Fish, Sour and fermented food, Curd, tomato, vinegar anything that is acidic in nature.
- Daily intake of two medicines – Once in morning and once in evening, after food.
- Caratol : http://www.jrkresearch.com/caratol-ecapsule.php
- Kanchan Kaya Churna : https://www.ayurspace.com/collections/ayurveda-medicines/products/kanchan-kaya-churan-medicine-for-vitiligo
- Swayambhuva Guggul: https://www.ayurtimes.com/swayambhuva-guggul-svayambhuva-guggulu/
I still do Yoga Aasana (Kapal Bhati) but stopped taking medicines after 4 months of initiating.
Hope my experience is of some help to you.