Millions of people suffer from anxiety straits, and every year the number takes an upward curve. When an anxiety attack is severe, the common practice is to approach the doctor, and it has resulted in the emergence of some of the drugs as a subject of common prescriptions for treating anxiety, stress, and depression. However, synthetic medications and drugs containing chemical ingredients are not natural remedies for any syndrome including anxiety and they often have harmful and irritating after effects. Moreover, these medications often fail to deliver the desired results. That is why many people and physicians as well prefer natural remedies for anxiety and depression treatments
Natural Remedies are Safe and Effective
Traditional natural remedies carry quite a long history of safe as well as practical use. Scientific researches and studies have also established the fact beyond reasonable doubts that many of them are more effective in comparison to their synthetic and chemical counterparts. The only necessity for the end user is to identify the remedies and learn how they work. Below are provided with the information on the most effective natural treatments for anxiety and depression.
Natural Herbal Remedies to Treat Anxiety and Depression
In various traditional medical sciences including Ayurveda and Unani treatments, herbs have occupied a significant place in preparation of medications and supplements. Especially useful for the purpose is multiple plant parts like seeds, roots, leaves berries, barks, and flowers in development of medicines and supplements to address various diseases including anxiety and depression. According to a scientific study, the medicinal use of herbs is thousands of years old.
Why Rely on Herbal Remedies?
There are multiple reasons for relying on herbal remedies to treat depression and anxiety.
- The practice is centuries old and has always proved useful.
- Around 80% of people across the globe rely on herbal remedies for primary healthcare.
- They do not have harmful after effects like prescription medications and drugs.
- Use of herbs for medicinal purposes has received a boost in recent time because they are natural and harmless.
- Prescription drugs often have harmful sedative effects.
Here is the description of some Top herbs that can help address issues of anxiety and depression.
- Arctic Root (Rhodiola rosea): The herb is found in cold regions such as the Arctic as well as in the Central Chinese Mountains among others. The herb is extensively used in traditional medicines prepared in Scandinavian countries and China. Its adaptogenic character helps counter anxiety and depression. It is also used to treat SAD, CFS, memory loss, and fibromyalgia. It can work much faster in comparison to prescription drugs in treating anxiety and depression and is an energy booster.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): An essential and extensively used herb for preparation of Ayurvedic medicines and supplements for over three thousand years, this herb has excellent capability of treating depression and anxiety. It is used as a stress-relieving adaptogen.
- Bacopa (Bacopa monnieri): Known in Ayurveda as Brahmi, this herb is also adaptogenic and can considerably enhance the brain power of the user and thereby increasing the longevity. It helps prevent memory loss and in treatment of anxiety and depression. It takes a few months to use to get full benefits of the herb.
- Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba): It is one of the oldest herbs used to prepare medicines and supplements. Millions of dollars worth of the grass are sold across the globe annually. It is mainly a memory enhancer but can also relieve one from stress and anxieties effectively raising the serotonin and dopamine levels in the anatomy helping develop a positive mood.
- Ginseng (Panax ginseng): Ginseng has been in use for over five thousand years in preparation of traditional medicines and supplements. It has a calming effect on the body and mind but at the same time boosts energy levels without being over stimulating. It is also used for improving sleep and libido.
- Kava (Piper methysticum): Kava, also called Kava Kava is used as a medicinal element for treating anxiety, stress, and depression. Traditional Kava tea is good for mental relaxation and clarity. It improves the GABA levels in the brain relaxing the mind and body. The only precaution is to take medical advice in case of prolonged use.
- Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnata): This herb is native to North America where it is traditionally used to treat anxiety and depression. It works better for the purpose in comparison to most prescription drugs and syrups increasing brain levels of GABA.
- Valerian (Valeriana officinal): This herb is used in Europe to treat anxiety, stress, and depression over two thousand years. It helps in enhancing GABA levels in the brain and has a calming and relaxing effect on body and mind. Besides anxiety and depression, it can also treat insomnia. It improves GABA levels rejuvenating the brain.
- Vitamins for Treating Anxiety and Depression: Vitamins are indispensable for general health and well being. Some of the vitamins need particular attention of the users suffering from anxiety, stress, and depression. Low levels of these vitamins in the anatomy can result in anxiety and depression systems.
- Vitamin B Complex: One of the anti-stress vitamins it can elevate one’s mood and increase the stress-tolerance levels. Vitamin B deficiency can trigger fatigue, poor concentration, anxiety, or depression. It can effectively address GABA imbalances.
- Inositol: A pseudo vitamin is found in high concentration in the brain improving brain-cell communications. It helps treat anxiety and depression including panic disorder as well as an obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Vitamin D: The skin creates vitamin when exposed to sunshine, but around 75% of people suffer from vitamin D deficiency. Lack of Vitamin D causes anxiety and depression and consuming vitamin D supplements help address anxiety, depression, and related issues.
A Few Other Supplements for Anxiety
It is not only herbs and vitamins that are natural remedies for addressing anxiety and depression, but there are a few others as well.
- Magnesium: Reason for people suffering from anxiety and depression is magnesium deficiencies. It releases stress hormones and works to filter preventing the stress hormones from affecting the brain.
- Taurine: This product is part of energy drinks and is an amino acid and balances GABA levels in the brain. It is also an excellent alternative for GABA supplements that do not work well for everyone.
- Tryptophan: An amino acid that can improve the status of mood-elevating chemical in the brain named serotonin. It is abundantly available in protein-rich foods. It works better than relying on diet or medications. Tryptophan can reduce general, social, and panic anxiety attacks and depression.
- Fish Oil: Fish oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acid that can immensely help the development of brain cell membranes as well as the nerve cells. It prepares the brain and physique in countering anxiety, depression, and stress. Anti-inflammatory properties of the Omega-3 fatty acids can prevent brain inflammation and stress as well as depression.
- Probiotics: Bacteria in the intestine and dysfunctional microbiome result in anxiety, depression, and related issues. Consuming probiotics supplements can address these issues effectively.