Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition where skin cells rapidly build up and form scales and itchy and dry patches. It is said to be an autoimmune disorder. It can appear anywhere but mostly occurs on the scalp, elbows, lower back, and knees. Triggering of the immune system may lead to infections, stress, and cold. Usually, rashes appear over the skin as a common symptom of Psoriasis.
Causes of Psoriasis
While the specific causes of psoriasis are yet to be discovered, the following could be some of the main reasons.
- Genetic predisposition in the people suffering from the syndrome.
- The hereditary effect of psoriasis as a child with affected parents have 15% more chances of being affected by psoriasis.
- Streptococcal infections in the upper respiratory system can result in the development of psoriasis.
- Lack of exposure to sunlight can aggravate psoriasis.
- Mental stress could be a reason for the effect.
- Effect of some drugs like chloroquine, lithium, chlorpropamide can result in the development of psoriasis.
Symptoms of Psoriasis
Major symptoms of psoriasis are as follows.
- The appearance of a particular type of lesions on the face and body.
- The lesions are red and have dry silvery-white scaling.
- The sizes of these lesions could be in the range of a few millimeters through several centimeters.
- Psoriasis appears on the scalp, elbows as well as lower back normally.
- A common symptom is the pitting of the nails.
- Reddish patches may also arise on palms.
- Multiple such patches arising on the joints in the anatomy.
Psoriasis Treatment in Ayurveda:
Ayurveda has always been beneficial in treating many health disorders. When it comes to treating Psoriasis, it is no exception. As we know, Ayurveda works on the root causes of the disease and reduces the harmful effects on the body and, in most cases, permanently cures the patient. Permanent cure for Psoriasis in Ayurveda is possible though herbal medicines along with positive lifestyle changes like exercise, meditation, dietary habits.
Certain Ayurvedic Remedies are very useful in treating this very disease to some extent. Like, herbal applications using neem, turmeric are very effective on the skin. Stress may trigger psoriasis flares, so it is always advised to practice some meditation techniques which could reduce stress levels and prevent flares. Moreover, a healthy diet mainly vegetarian diet with high protein and low carbs can also show improvements in symptoms of Psoriasis. People who have Psoriasis should avoid acidic foods or foods which are too salty. It can worsen the condition.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Psoriasis
Among the Ayurvedic herbs for psoriasis are herbal ghee generated from herbs that helps to remove toxins from body fluids. One of the most useful herbs for the treatment of psoriasis is Black Nightshade or Solanum Nigrum also known as Kakmachi. Juice of the leaves of this herb applied locally on the affected regions can prevent and cure the spread of psoriasis. Garlic which is a blood purifier and its consumption in the empty stomach can filter toxins out of the blood and have healing effects for skin diseases like psoriasis. Other herbs useful for the treatment of psoriasis are Jasmine or Hasminum Polyanthum, Guggul, and neem. While the former two are used for external applications only the last one can be used for oral consumption, as drinking fluids, and for external application.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Psoriasis:
Ayurvedic medicines are made up of natural herbs that work on the underlying cause of the disease and cure it of the roots. They are very helpful for psoriasis cure in Ayurveda. Ayurvedic medicines mostly contain turmeric and aloe vera as ingredients that have some extra-ordinary effects on skin health. Jasmine, guggul, and garlic are also used in several herbal medicines. They help reduce inflammation, redness, and swelling of the skin and purify the blood and boost immunity. Certain applications of natural oils on the skin like coconut and olive oils may help soothe itchy skin and thus leaves a positive effect on Psoriasis.
Certain medicines like Vetpalai thailam by SKM and Lukoskin oral liquid by AIMIL etc. are some of the best examples for this.
Though ayurvedic medicines are very effective in treating Psoriasis, it is always recommended to consult an ayurvedic physician before taking them.