Psoriasis is a skin disease but it is non-infectious as well as inflammatory in nature. Well defined reddish plaques appear on the skin of the affected person. There will also be simultaneous large silvery scales around them. but the greatest abnormalities of skin are the development of multiple skin layers. This happens due to the excessive division of the cells in basal layers. The affected person may also suffer from severe itching of skin and along the silvery scaling as well. It is a widespread syndrome and around 1%-3% of the world population suffers from it.
Causes of Psoriasis
While the specific causes of psoriasis are yet to be discovered, the followings could be some of the main reasons.
- Genetic predisposition in the people suffering from the syndrome.
- The hereditary effect of psoriasis as a child with affected parents have 15% more chances of being affected by psoriasis.
- Streptococcal infections in the upper respiratory system can result in the development of psoriasis.
- Lack of exposure to sunlight can aggravate psoriasis.
- Mental stress could be a reason for the effect.
- Effect of some drugs like the chloroquine, lithium, chlorpropamide, and practaol can result in the development of psoriasis.
Symptoms of Psoriasis
Major symptoms of psoriasis are as follows.
- The appearance of a particular type of lesions on face and body.
- The lesions are red and have dry silvery white scaling.
- The sizes of these lesions could be in the range of a few millimeters through several centimeters.
- Psoriasis appears on the scalp, elbows as well as lower back normally.
- A common symptom is the pitting of the nails.
- Reddish patches may also arise on palms.
- Multiple such patches arising on the joints in the anatomy.
How Ayurveda can Help
According to Ayurveda, the development of psoriasis or any type of skin diseases are results of vitiation of two of the three doshas in human anatomy, namely, vata and pitta. Vata and pitta are the elements that maintain equilibrium in the anatomy with the third element kafa. Accumulation of some of the low potency poisons that are known as dooshi vishas in Ayurveda results in pathological changes in the body. Using the amazing healing powers of herbs, Ayurveda seeks to address the problem curing and preventing the growth of psoriasis in the physique. In addition; Ayurveda also suggests balancing the ahara, vihara, and achara which refers to food, habits, and conduct in men and women. Exercise and yoga and relinquishing alcohol and tobacco while consuming herbal medicines can work wonders for the affected persons naturally healing the syndrome. The treatment is based on detoxification, vomiting, and purgation.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Psoriasis
Among the Ayurvedic herbs for psoriasis are herbal ghee generated from herbs that helps to remove toxins from body fluids. One of the most useful herbs for treatment of psoriasis is Black Nightshade or Solanum Nigrum also known as Kakmachi. Juice of the leaves of this herb applied locally on the affected regions can prevent and cure the spread of psoriasis. Garlic which is a blood purifier and its consumption in the empty stomach can filter toxins out of blood and have healing effects for skin diseases like psoriasis. Other herbs useful for the treatment of psoriasis are Jasmine or Hasminum Polyanthum, Guggul, and neem. While the former two are used for external applications only the last one can be used for oral consumption, as drinking fluids, and for external application.
Ayurspace Medicines for Psoriasis
Ayurspace is an Indian health portal that recommends the best Ayurvedic medicines around for treatment of psoriasis and facilitates their online procurement. Some of the medicines are Psoriasis Free for Life and The Natural Psoriasis Remedy that contains best herbs for treatment of psoriasis as ingredients but does not contain any synthetic or chemical elements.