There are two masses of tissue at the back throat, these are known as tonsils and these act as filters for trapping germs from entering into airways. They have also the ability to produce antibodies for fighting with infections. But, these tonsils also become infected, swell as well as inflamed. This condition is known as tonsillitis. It happens normally in case of children. In some cases, it becomes acute and recurs frequently. When the frequency is increased highly, it is known as recurrent tonsillitis.
It is very troublesome affecting health as well as psychologically because of missing school, games and other activities. 99
Causes of Recurrent Tonsilitis
Recurrent tonsillitis is caused due to various reasons. Some of them may be:
- Cold climate – when the individual is exposed to highly cold climates.
- Intake of cold water or cold food items like ice cream or chilled cold drinks.
- Excess intake of oily food – In some cases, the heavy use of oily food leads to recurrent tonsillitis.
- Exposure to cold breeze – when the individual is trapped in the cold breeze, he may suffer from recurrent tonsillitis.
- Bacterial and viral infections such as adenoviruses, influenza virus, epstein-barr virus, para-influenza viruses etc. 198
Symptoms Recurrent Tonsilitis
Following are the symptoms of tonsillitis:
- Inflammation and swelling of the tonsils
- Redness of the tonsils
- Throat pain or tenderness
- White or (in some cases) yellow coating on the tonsils
- Hoarseness or loss of voice
- Painful blisters or ulcers on the throat
- Pain in ears
- Difficulty swallowing
- Loss of appetite
- Fever coupled with chills
- Bad breath
- Voice changes
- Abdominal pain
How Ayurveda can help in the condition of Recurrent Tonsilitis?
In terms of Ayurveda, tonsillitis is known as Tundikeri. It is mentioned in Susrutha Samhitha. For the treatment of recurrent tonsillitis, the Ayurveda suggests the following treatments:
- Changes in Lifestyle – In this type of treatment, there are dietary restrictions for avoiding damage to tonsils and regain it in healthy as well as original shape.
- The local pain is managed and local pain, redness as well as swelling is taken care of.
- The fever and other infections caused are treated.
- Surgery – It is most suitable in the case of recurrent tonsillitis.
In all the cases the patient is suggested to take sufficient rest, drink warm cold fluids for easing the throat pain. He is also advised to take gargle with lukewarm salted water. He has to take foods like flavored gelatins, applesauce, ice cream etc.
Ayurvedic herbs for Recurrent Tonsilitis
Following herbs are used in treating recurrent tonsillitis:
- Dronapushpi (Leucas cephalotus)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Tejohwa (Zanthoxylum alatum Roxb)
- Katphala (Myrica esculenta Buch)
- Pushkaramoola (Inula reacemosa)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Mircha (Black Pepper)
- Karkatakasringi (Pistacia integrima)
Ayurspace products for Recurrent Tonsilitis
- Khaadiraati vati
- Tundikeri ras
- Sitopalaadi choorna
- Agastya rasayana
- Shringyadi choornam
- Katphala kashaya
- Dashamoola katutraya kashaya
- Sithopaladi choorna
- Kaphakutara rasa
- Kanchanara Guggulu
- Gorochanadi Gulika
- Nirgundyadi oil
- Kuka tablets
- Amla Rasayan
- Tulsi tablet
- Swarn Basant Malti Ras tablet